English Column: Our hopes in Ramadan

“My hope is to be free from SINS!”
Picture by ~JosCos of deviantart.com

I’ll tell you the truth about Ramadan. What is the truth? Ramadan is our visitors. Not an ordinary visitor but VVVIP. Ramadan is a visitor that brings a lot of fortunes. But the question is:
  1. How do we treat Ramadan?
  2. It is already day five, have we treated it wholeheartedly?
Let us look back the hadith that is often repeated every year again and again, time and again:
“Whoever fasted the month of Ramadan out of sincere Faith (i.e. belief) and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his past sins will be forgiven, and whoever stood for the prayers in the night of Qadr out of sincere Faith and hoping for a reward from Allah, then all his previous sins will be forgiven .”[1]
Here, the hadith is translated as “hoping for a reward from Allah” for the word “ihtisaba”. But the literal translation of “ihtisaba” is not “hoping for a reward from Allah” but is “counting.”
What does it mean by “counting”? What are you “counting”? The mathematical equations that you are “counting” are how you treat Ramadan.
(more…)

Let’s get ready to rumble!

Let’s get ready to rumble!
by Ameen Misran
While browsing through my old 4310 Acer notebook, I saw a picture of the Musolla of my ex-high school, MATRI. Then I looked at my desk calendar. Today is 27 Syaaban and I am 3 days away from  Ramadan. Will I manage to enter the doors of Ramadan? Last year, our beloved Ustaz Asri of Rabbani passed away before entering Ramadan. What about me? I don’t know. I just don’t know.
Gazing at the picture brings me unforgettable memories when I was in high school. It has been almost four years since I’ve finished my studies at that school near the woods. I can assure myself, to me, MATRI is the best place to celebrate the festival of deeds during Ramadan. Comparing the places I’ve been in my life, no place can challenge the beauty of the people nurturing Ramadan. No place, not even IIUM Gombak.
In MATRI, from morning to midnight, the Musolla was so full of students reciting and praying. After Terawih prayer, many circles, big and small ones was making Tadarus Al-Quran. Finishing the Quran more than 3 times in one month was a norm in MATRI. But my past Ramadan, finishing it once was the maximum number for me and I was among the minorities. I feel peace and tranquillity seeing the students competing with each other and to some extend making contests to win who finishes the Quran first. Huh! Old memories.
In that picture, there was a picture of my former senior and former xifu, Ustaz Muhtad. A great guy who finished his studies in University Al-Azhar, Dumyati, Mesir. He was staff of MATRI teaching Arabic. He was also the warden of Huffaz Dormitory at that time.
I sunk deep in my thoughts. A memory took place five years ago went rolling in my head.

English Column: Lose Yourself in Ramadan

Want to understand nature? Lose yourself in it.
Picture by Umar Aziz at DQ lake
“Ramadan is magic. It can change my whole life in an instance” says a friend of mine to me. ‘Magic’ he says. Nice choice of word yeah. Ramadan is ‘magic’ only for those who nurture and the thirst of 11 months waiting is only quenched upon Ramadan’s arrival. You will never wait for it to come to your door step and knock on your door, but your door is already open and you’re more than ready to welcome it with open arms. Ramadan is magic because of the Quran.
(more…)

English Column: A love greater than Allah’s love

“looking for a greater love”
Picture by ~Saaruhh of deviantart.com


“Is it wrong to be in a relationship?”
“It is Allah who made us in love, not us; are we to be blamed?”
“If I don’t have an intimate relationship with her, how will I know my future wife?”
These are typical answers claimed by many people as an excuse to legalize their so called love out of the wedlock. Sadly, majority of us are implementing it.
These excuses are left unanswered. The truth is still hidden from them. Whether being in a relationship out of the wedlock is haram or halal? Who is going to make them understand that what they are doing is wrong? Their parents? Friends?
For those who are close with the Quran and Sunnah, you are so close to the truth. But for those who favour ‘scholarly’ opinions from entertainment magazines, romance movies or music videos, you are so deep in the darkness of ignorance.
The Quran and Sunnah are two substances for us to shape our personality, route map for our life’s road journey and as a shield detaining ourselves from being influenced by the tempting and seducing worldly pleasures. “I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray” (Narrated by Imam Malik)
But why, with the Quran and Sunnah present alongside our life, we still claim there is a Love Greater that Allah’s love? Who is to be blamed? Is it the Quran and Sunnah or ourselves?
Shirk in love
Have you ever heard about shirk? Shirk refers to assigning a partner or partners with Allah in whatever form it may take, and it is the opposite of worshipping Allah alone.
This act of associating partners with Allah is (one of) the most dangerous sins in which a Muslin can be involved. In fact, if someone dies in such a state, then he/she will not be forgive Allah protect us from all types of shirk. About shirk Allah, the Most High said:
“Indeed Allah does not forgive shirk (that you associate any partners with Him), but He forgives other than that to whom He pleases.” [An Nisaa 4:48]
So shirk; the King of all sins, the most expensive sin has also its empire in the practices of love. How can this happen? Easily said, two persons are madly in love, when are performing solah, who will they remember most, Allah or their couple? By feeling a love greater than Allah’s love or in other sense, remembering other than Allah when it is the specific time we are supposed to remember Him is shirk!
If we accept a love greater that Allah’s love as our main love, Allah has revealed to us this verse:
“And [yet], among the people are those who take other than Allah as equals [to Him]. They love them as they [should] love Allah . But those who believe are stronger in love for Allah . And if only they who have wronged would consider [that] when they see the punishment, [they will be certain] that all power belongs to Allah and that Allah is severe in punishment.” [Al-Baqarah: 165]
Who are we to have an affair with Allah? Do we think that Allah doesn’t know that we are in love more in another entity? Is love towards another human our mission in life? Have we forgotten that it has been Allah’s rahmah that we have been longing for in our life? It should be like this, when our love towards Allah is getting greater and greater, our love towards others will become smaller and smaller. No human love can give an equivalent value that Allah has given to us.
We always claim “Love makes the world go round, love heals all wounds” in our everyday lives. If we don’t say it, we practice it. But no, only Allah and only Him can make the world go round because only Allah can make the earth spin on its axis, can human do it? Only Allah can close an open wound or cure a cancer, can any doctor do it?
O heart! Let us fear the concealed shirk in love!
O heart! Please be sensitive! I don’t want to be the owner of a black dark heart!
“But I love her so so much!”
It’s not that Allah does not know that you are always thinking about her. It’s not that Allah is not aware that you are missing her. It’s not that Allah does not understand that you are always imagining the precious moments together with her. This is fitrah. But every fitrah comes with laws governing them. Why? So that your life flows in accordance to His law.
How to overcome this test? So that this fitrah does not turn into fitnah but obtain barakah instead. What must you do?
Ask yourself; are you ready to give a commitment to her? Have you prepared yourself? Mentally and physically? How is your monthly salary? Is it adequate to buy her clothes, shelter and food? Is this your priority now? Ask yourselves these questions before asking for her hand.
We should seek to get married if we are in a position to do so. The Prophet said: “O young men! Those of you who can support a wife should marry, for it keeps you from looking at women and preserves your chastity.’ (Bukhari.) If you are unable to get married, you should fast regularly for this will assist in controlling your sexual desires. The Prophet said: `O young men! You should marry. Whosoever cannot marry should fast, for fasting will lessen his desire’.” (Bukhari.)
You know, you can easily obtain rewards from Allah by manipulating this test to become your strength. Whenever the feeling of “I miss her” comes to your mind, use that to say “Astaghfirullah”. Say it several times and make yourself busy in other things that make you remember Allah. Why? Because we do not know if we entertain this feeling, it would lead to zina!
We should strive to control all the parts of our body not just our genitals from zina or fornication. The Prophet said: “Every son of Adam has his share of fornication. The eyes fornicate and do so by looking. The hands fornicate and do so by touching. The feet fornicate and do so by walking [to an immoral act or place]. The mouth fornicates and does so by kissing. And the heart forms thoughts and wishes which the genitals confirm or deny.’ (Bukhari and Muslim.) Thus the Prophet used to make dua continuously: `I seek refuge in Thee from the evil which may be in my ears, my eyes, my heart and my semen’. “ (Abu Dawud)
Allah has revealed in the Quran:
“Do not come near zina for it is foulness and an evil way.” [al-Isra 17: 32]
Allah did not say “do not make zina” but Allah said “Do not come near zina”, meaning that don’t even wish to make zina!
Islam has given the methods to make sure there’s no greater love that the love for Allah Himself. So is it the right way to show our affection through routes that take us to zina? Like sending SMS even when we have no urgency to do so or talking on the phone without any important topic to discuss or dating alongside devils.
Conclusion: Proof of love
Do you want a marriage built from pillars of zina?
Do you think you will attain barakah from a marriage of zina?
Now prove to me, is there any love greater than Allah’s love?

English Column: TAQWA – The “Boring” Weekly Call

“See what happens when we miss an important call”
Picture by *04young of Deviantart.com

FRIDAY is the most exhausting day of the week. Even though I do not have classes on this day, sleeping half a day will always be my top priority. Study? Rarely. Breakfast? Hardly any. Just sleep and sleep. Exhausted I guess.
When the clock strikes 1 pm, I would get ready for prayer, Friday prayer of course. Walk to the IIUM Masjid and wait for the first azan. After an interval for about 10 minutes, the khatib gives salaam and then the second azan is heard.
The azans normally sounds beautiful like a lullaby making the Friday jamaah feel so sleepy. When the azan is over, the khatib starts his khutbah. As the khatib starts with:
“O you who have believed, fear Allah as He should be feared and do not die except as Muslims [in submission to Him].” (Ali-Imran: 102)
I witness in front of my eyes, most of the guys, head down! Their head goes up and down not indicating that they understand what the khatib is saying, but because they doze off to dreamland!
Why are they sleeping? Why are we (men) dozing off? If the purpose of Friday prayer is a place for men to ‘rest’ then, sleeping will be quite acceptable.
But Friday prayer is a weekly call for TAQWA. Is this call a ‘boring’ call?
(more…)

English Column: Have you swallowed a dictionary?


If you can’t swallow it whole then eat it!
Picture by Lala (Shady Lane Studios) of flickr.com

“If you have one thousand words in your head, then you will have no difficulty in speaking Arabic” my father said as he taught one of his classes. I was just there to see him teach. It wasn’t my class actually, my father is teaching a senior class in Sekolah Agama Taman Sri Pulai.
One of my weakest subject was Arabic language, I can’t even write properly, what more if I speak Arabic then? It’ll definitely sound like trash. But what he said just now made me feel that he is challenging me. The challenge was to speak Arabic fluently. Do I dare to speak Arabic?
So I grew up still I can’t master Arabic that good but at least I can speak or sometimes debate in Arabic language. I tried to apply what my father said by memorizing all the words I can. I listened to lectures and tried by very best to use the language.
In my own words, I came out with a solution for a person to excel in language; the solution is to ask yourself “Have you swallowed a dictionary?” (Thanks to my dad of course)
(more…)

English Column: Bachelor of Taqwa from University of Ramadan


“That is Taqwa!” Picture by ~mmurn of deviantART.com

On the tenth of Eidul Fitr, two old friends decided to meet each other. They wanted their special meeting to be at a special place, which is at their previous high school. It’s kind of killing two birds with one stone, missing a buddy and missing a school. With the combination of both, it brings back old unforgettable memories.
So they meet up at the musolla of the school.
“Assalamualaikum broer!” says Ameer to his old friend. “Long time no see. How have you been?”
The two of them hugged each other.
“Waalaikumussalam!” answered Ali “Yeah, it has been some time. I’ve been good.”
The both of them had a chit-chat over some old stories. Then Ameer asked Ali a question “You just graduated right from IIUM? What was your bachelor? Bachelor of English was it?”
“Me? Bachelor of English? No. That was a long time ago. Now I have a bachelor of Taqwa” said Ali confidently.
“Bachelor of Taqwa? From what university?” Ameer confused.
“From University of Ramadan” says Ali.
(more…)

This is your final Ramadan!


“Do we have a second chance?
Picture by D.Jelen of flickr.com

“Ameen! Sahur time! Come down, let’s eat” says mama to me. Cold it was at that time approximately 1 hour and a half before Subuh. There I sat in my Sajadah, reciting some Dzkir, just finished two rakaah of Tahjud, but looking forward for more.
I wasn’t really hungry but I was thirsty, thirsty for my ‘date’ with Allah. I need to quench that thirst, if not I will regret my life not able to capture that instant. Ramadan comes only once a year and there should not be a moment to be lost.
“Thanks mama, I’ll be down in 40 minutes” I responded half shouting.
“Okay” she replied. My little brother was with her. She has company so I don’t have to worry.
The next prayer I’m about to perform is Solah Taubah. It was dark. I love praying in a dark environment, it gives me the khusu’ in my prayer. It also centers my attention to only Allah and me alone in that darkness. It really symbolizes a ‘date’ of two lovers. This is the darkness that brings me to light. So I stood up back again facing my Lord in that darkness.
So I said my lafzu niyyah before prayer. Then I made my takbir ratul Ihram, at that moment, my whole body feel so cold, as cold like the South Pole. So cold. As if someone is watching me from behind. I tried to ignore that feeling. I kept continuing my prayer.
As I went on, losing myself in prayer, my body reached under zero temperature. So very cold. I really felt like a dark figure is behind me. Like that figure or someone is trying to do something to me. “Why not just strike me now?” my heart says.
Do you know the figure who I felt was standing behind me? It was like Malikul Maut. I really really thought that it was my time to go. I will leave this world. I will leave my mother without me eating Sahur together. Death will not be delayed not even a single split second.
“Why not just strike me now?” What am I thinking? Am I ready to meet Allah? I’m speaking as if I’m ‘fit’ and ‘ready’ to go. No no! I’m still not ready; I don’t even know when I will be ready. Please Allah! Don’t take me now. I don’t want this to be my final Ramadan!
(more…)

The Sky is cryin’, are you?

The sky is cryin’, are you?
Picture by Masterpiecestudios of flickr.com a.k.a my big bro
“Why can’t I cry?” I said to myself on the sajadah, longing for those tiny droplets to run free from my eyes. But it seems impossible to do so, just impossible. I’ve tried but it’s still not working.
“Why? Why it is so hard?” I stood up from where I sat and went to the mirror to see myself. Through the reflection of the mirror I see the body Allah has borrowed for me. I tried again crying in front of the mirror wanting to witness myself crying. But no. No physical change. No sad face. No heart pumping hard. No nothing. Just my old stiff face full of ignorance. 22 years of ignorance? Maybe. It freaks me out becoming the owner of a dark rusty heart.
Why am I craving so much for just crying? Isn’t crying a sign of weakness? Because only women cry and men don’t? If men cry they are not macho anymore? No no no!
I have a strong desire to cry because crying makes me strong.
(more…)

Just say “I don’t know” will ya?

Just say “I don’t know” will ya?
I see my path, but I don’t know where it leads…..
Picture by
Bônita²- Miss Nonalita of flickr.com
Once upon a time there was a guy who traveled thousands of miles from Morocco to Madinah. This hell of a journey was only to accomplish one mission that is to meet Imam Malik and to ask and discuss some questions.
These unanswered questions were imposed by the people of Morocco to the great, well known, renowned Imam al-Madinah that is Imam Malik. That guy was just a representative whose journey to Madinah was weeks and months.
As he reached Madinah, the first station he went was to attend a program conducted by Imam Malik. In the gathering, that guy asked the unanswered questions to Imam Malik in front of many others. But sadly Imam Malik replied back “I don’t know. That problem has never risen so far in our place. Our elders have never taught us about that. Please go home tomorrow.”
(more…)
Mobile View | Copyright © 2011 LangitIlahi.com | Mari Menjadi Hamba. All Rights Reserved Top ↑

Comments

Popular posts from this blog